A/D USB converters: Apogee Jam vs Focusrite Scarlett Solo


If you need a usb converter to capture your guitar or bass sound direct, there are few options in the market, but none, in my opinion, come close to the Apogee quality.





I personally have tried the Apogee One (more expensive, with an integrated condenser microphone), the Apogee Jam and the Focusrite Scarlett Solo.



I can state quite firmly that the converters of the Jam sound identical to the one of the more expensive One. If you just need a single input converter for guitar or bass, the Jam provides that with no frills.

At some stage I bought the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, because I needed an input for a mic, so I thought to get a unique  and integrate solution, and get rid of the Apogee Jam.

I immediately noticed how my Godin 5th Avenue recordings sounded muffled and unclear when recording direct through the Solo. I tweaked knobs and spent time, but the device clearly lacked the transparency and clarity of the Apogee converters.

I went back to the Jam, and the difference is so clear to my ears that's impossible to not noticing it.
In case I need a USB microphone input, I now bought the Apogee Mic, which goes through a separate USB port on my MacBook Pro, and I'll review it very shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment